Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Leukemia in Lebanon, remembrance in Lahore: Part 2

Continued from Part I

We stayed on in Italy where my daughter was being treated. I emailed Dana once after our last meeting, hoping to get a reply but she never did. I of course had no complaints. I was sure that she must be busy rushing from one hospital to the other, bringing Yasmin home for the few moments of respite that they could get in the midst of all the medical tests, nausea and discomfort. They would be trying their best to cherish those few moments of relief they could get away from the hospital, by seeing the two little sisters playing together.

My heart goes out to both of them, to both little Tammy and little Yasmin because they were like my own daughters. And I know that when Dana and Haitham saw my daughters together there was this deprived look in their eyes, a longing and a certain yearning to see their own daughters happy and together for many years to come.


Though my own daughter was going through a very difficult period, it was probably that suffering that brought us together, a family from Pakistan and a family from Lebanon, together in a strange world in Italy.

I can only imagine what could have happened in the past four months. Yasmins blood counts must have started dwindling. She must have started losing weight, must have lost her appetite. And Dana must have been running after her ‘Please eat Ysmin, please eat. Eat so that you can be strong. PLEASE. Please….please.’

A month after they had left. I secretly thought that maybe Yasmin wouldn’t have died just yet and maybe things were not so bad. And so maybe I could call them…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage readers to comment and contribute in the discussions but please bear in mind that any comments that aim to be rude or insensitive will not be published