Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Warm Welcome To My Support & Guidance Group

Hello and welcome to my support blog for patients and their families who are going through chemotherapy, blood transfusions or a bone marrow transplant.

I'd like to begin with a background as to why I've started this blog.

I'm sure there are a lot of support groups out there that are run by psychiatrists or doctors but I felt that I had learnt so much in my twelve years of first hand experience in handling near and dear ones fight cancer and then see my own daughter struggle through over six years (to date) of transfusions and bone marrow transplants...that I know it is now my responsibility as a surviving human being to share all that I have learnt. If all that I write helps anyone in pain out there in any way at all then it would give me a deep sense of relief, contentment and humility.

There are so many little things the doctors don't explain and the psychiatrists sometimes overlook. Things only a person going through the pain can understand or a parent seeing his or her own child can feel.

I hope to explain many misconceptions of blood disorder related practical problems and the pitfalls related with bone marrow transplants in my posts.

I came back from Italy to Pakistan two months ago after my daughter got her medical treatment there. We experienced the most extraordinary incidents, some related with medical issues, some with pain, some with losing friends to death, some with language and communication issues and some even with clashes of faith, culture and racism.

I am deeply grateful to the doctors at the Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy, who did a wonderful job but....there are many 'BUTS'!

When we were living in Italy, it was something like living in 'un altra mondo' ( a different world) and I want to capture all the friendships made with people from different countries and faiths, the pain and suffering of chemo, the successes and the tragedies at the hospital, the politics and how it affected the patients... all in the form of a memoir. I know that this account will be most invaluable to patients, doctors, psychiatrists, social workers and ordinary people who will learn to live and enjoy the most precious gift they've got: LIFE.

I also want to write it because I want my 6 year old daughter's courage and struggle to not be erased and forgotten from memory...but to live on and give others the same courage and support that she gave to me. My daughter has really shown me how to live and I pray to God that she has a beautiful and fulfilling life ahead of her.

Since this blog is meant as a support group, please feel more than welcome to ask any questions which you might feel are 'too silly to ask the doctor'. It is my hope that I will be able to help but my promise that I will do my best to guide you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage readers to comment and contribute in the discussions but please bear in mind that any comments that aim to be rude or insensitive will not be published