Monday, October 26, 2009

Huma Waseem's untimely death: Medical Negligence, ignorance or fate?


I'm home these days with my daughters. The schools are still closed because of the security concerns in Lahore and it is almost impossible to be able to sit down and write but I'm trying very hard to stick to a schedule (even if it's jeopardised because of an irregular turn of events both at home and in the country)

Today, I'm feeling a little ill with the viral infection coming on...so I thought I'd write on my blog rather than rake my mind to write about old and some very painful memories ( my intense memoir!)

The T.V. is showing glimpses of Huma Wasim's funeral procession and I am myself feeling very sad that such a fine lady had to go before her time. Yesterday, the hapless mother of Waseem Akram was weeping and lamenting that the 'doctors at National Hospital (Defence, Lahore) gave Huma some wrong medicines because of which everything went wrong...'

Now that is a serious allegation if made in front of a tv camera of a media channel watched by millions of Pakistanis all over the world. Todays newspaper gives no particular specifics about the cause of the 'multiple organ failure' which resulted in Huma's kidneys to fail, for her to develop a brain tumor and for her to eventually have a heart attack on the Air Ambulance transporting her from Pakistan to Singapore. Ofcourse poor Huma couldn't make it during the flight and so the chartered plane had to land at Chennai where Huma after being rushed to the Apollo Hospital, breathed her last.


I will be very interested in seeing if anything will come out of this alleged 'negligence'. I think that it will be a matter of days before everyone will get back to their lives and their busy routines and everyone will forget about this yet another life (possibly) brought to an early end because someone was either not doing their job or because they did not have the means to do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage readers to comment and contribute in the discussions but please bear in mind that any comments that aim to be rude or insensitive will not be published